[USRP-users] Questions about input data in USRP n210

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Mon Apr 20 03:21:14 EDT 2015

Hi Jaehoon,

that's exactly what USRPs are designed to do. You will need to write
some signal processing software to make a digital baseband signal out of
your digital data, and then you can just transmit that with the USRP.

On the receiving side, you will have to write signal processing software
that takes the digital baseband samples that come out of the USRP, and
remove the influence of the wireless channel, and then decode the
packet, and then produce audio.

The USRP doesn't "know" what kind of signal it sends, it just takes the
samples you give it, converts them to analog and mixes them to RF.
The same applies for receive signals: It doesn't understand what signals
it senses, it just mixes them to baseband, and samples them.

You will have to implement all meaningful functionality (ie.
transmitting packets of data, decoding data) in software on your PC.

Maybe you would want to have a look at the introduction [1] and the
"using with hardware" part [2] of the GNU Radio tutorials, as they
illustrate what this might look like. To understand "using GNU Radio
with hardware", you might also want to read the other tutorials.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1]
https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorial_Introduction