[USRP-users] B210 over Network?

Raj Bhattacharjea rbhattacharjea at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 17:36:06 EDT 2015

There is no built in functionality to do this kind of thing in UHD. It
would be great if Ettus provided a daemon that handled talking to the B210
over USB and looked like an available USRP over the network (just like an N
series). I see why they don't though: 1 GBPS of network bandwidth can't
keep up with the 54 MSamps/s @ sc16 (32 bits per complex sample) that the
B210 is capable of. Lower sample rates or lower bit resolution (sc8) are
possibilities however, and I second the use of the rx_samples_to_udp
example file for those cases.

Here's some stuff we are doing in this same vein, I hope these details
maybe help you out. We have B210s connected to Gigabyte BRIX machines
instead of NUCs, but only because the BRIX is available with a decent
graphics processor in a NUC-like form factor. For spectrum visualization
remotely, we use the GPU + gr-fosphor to crunch the FFTs and then encode a
video stream using the CPU + ffmpeg, and send this video stream over UDP to
the client. In my simple tests, the datarate of such a video with no
compression is an order of magnitude less than the raw datarate of a 20-30
MSamp/s IQ data stream. With compression, the video bitrate is of course
even lower. Other modes we're working on include remote recording and
playback of samples. The "B210 server" and the consuming client
applications are Python code and network sockets are used for all
communications between machines.

--
Raj Bhattacharjea
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg037s/