[USRP-users] USRP captured data information

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Wed Apr 15 07:57:51 EDT 2015

Hi,
I'm not familiar with optical models myself, so this is only a guess:
*Geometrical* optical model sounds like it would ignore all effects that
happen due to interference, meaning that you wouldn't see any multipath
fading; I'm pretty sure that would not be the model of choice for radio
waves inside a subway, since they definitely will de- and constructively
interfere.

When I was proofreading a few pages of a thesis, I skimmed through [1]
to get a understanding for the topic; maybe that will give you some
inspiration for what to measure; it sadly is already more than 20 years
old, so there might be "cooler" existing models that I don't know of.
Anyway, it really nicely covers the three main aspects that you probably
also will need to cover:

1. it describes how the channel is modelled (as a discrete impulse response)
2. it describes why considering the channel as something that varies
randomly is necessary and thus explains the need for statistical description
3. it is kind of a lengthy tutorial on how to actually characterize the
channel. I didn't read that part completely, because it was "a bit too
long", but then again, I was not in the business of modelling a channel
myself.

I must admit that I think what you're doing might be a bit hard for
someone completely new to radio communications and if that actually is
the case for you, you might find it hard to understand all the technical
terms in the first three chapters of [1], but you only said you were new
to SDR, so my hope is that you already know most of this stuff, or will
have fun catching up on a bit of channel theory.

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] http://wsl.stanford.edu/~ee359/hashemi_indoor.pdf