[USRP-users] USRP captured data information

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Wed Apr 15 05:49:17 EDT 2015

Hi Alok,

we'll, Matlab is a math tool, and thus, you'll have to find a
real-valued mathematical representation of the entities you want to plot.
Power of a digital signal is commonly defined as the square magnitude of
the samples, that is $\Re\{z\}^2+\Im\{z\}^2 = {|z|}^2$, so this might be
what you want to plot.

However, you might find yourself in a situation where you'll first want
to define more closely what you're measuring. Do you want to measure the
RX power of a single sine wave? In that case, it would be advisable to
use a very narrowband digital filter, just to get as little power as
possible into your measurement. If you transmit digital data (most
probably what you do when using benchmark_tx), you might now your TX
pulse shape, and thus you can use a matched filter on the RX side,
giving you the maximum SNR any filter could offer.

Also, the frequency range from 300MHz to 5GHz is quite large -- unless
you have an extremely broadband antenna, you will need to use different
antennas. And: every antenna has a frequency-dependent behaviour as
well, making both the geometrical properties and the maximum achievable
field strength extraction a function of the carrier frequency. You will
be fine if you use "simple" geometries like monopole antennas and for
small frequency deviations, and if you try to keep RX and TX in each
others main direction, but that's another factor to consider; so I'd
recommend doing one center frequency first, shifting your signal in
smaller steps around that, and then trying out other frequencies.

Your application really sounds exciting; subway channels really sound
like they'd actually have impressive multipath propagation, small scale
fading etc, due to being in a metal cage; this together with the doppler
of signals leaving the cabin, bouncing of the tunnel seems really
interesting! Do you have a reference channel model you're building on?
Maybe the Matlab IEEE802.11n indoor channels?

Greetings,
Marcus