[USRP-users] UHD: What do the tx_metadata_t burst parameters mean?

Raj Bhattacharjea rbhattacharjea at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:00:49 EDT 2015

What is the meaning of various tx_metadata_t fields in UHD? The
documentation is here:

http://files.ettus.com/manual/structuhd_1_1tx__metadata__t.html

This is API documentation explaining what functions and fields exist, but
it does not tell me much about the concepts this API is implementing. Is
there some document I'm missing that explains the concepts of metadata in
UHD, how it is used, and what terms like time_spec and start_of_burst mean,
precisely? When should a burst be considered to start? To stop? If I send
20 pulses of a carrier, each 20 microseconds long and separated by 10
microseconds, then sleep for 1 second, then do it again, do I have one
burst per second, or 20? What difference does this metadata even make, the
samples still go out the TX port regardless of these flags, right? If I
don't use the burst start and stop metadata correctly, will the state of
the USRP be somehow invalid when I go to TX again later in my application?

--
Raj Bhattacharjea
Georgia Institute of Technology