[USRP-users] Ettus B2x0 enclosure group buy/machining interest?

vincent altectogo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:37:24 EDT 2014

Robert McIntyre via USRP-users <usrp-users at ...> writes:

> I've been doing a little research on cases for the Ettus B2x0 series,
and wanted to talk to the group about interest in some sort of group buy,
or at least group machining.  I have one of the Takachi enclosures, which
is a perfect fit for the board, and the price is about 21 USD in the
volumes that we're likely to do.  That includes silver finish, and
aluminum endplates (unmachined).  They have the same enclosure with ABS
plastic endplates, though, for about 8 USD.  I don't think that the
plastic endplates will work very well, though. I have a local friend who
owns/runs a mid-sized machine shop, and will be taking him my enclosure to
see what the cost to CNC machine the aluminum end plates.  I'll have him
look at both machining Takachi-supplied end plates (so, the 21 USD
enclosure), as well as making end plates from blank aluminum stock (so,
using the 8 USD enclosure).  He can also do laser engraving, so will get
pricing on labeling the end plates as well. The absolute easiest thing for
me/him to do would be to just machine the end plates from stock, and you
get your own enclosure from Takachi.  But, while the Takachi company was
extremely pleasant to work with, there's still the back and forth across
time zones, etc., and I'm not sure about the costs of the different
options yet to say which would be the absolute cheapest. How many people
would be interested in a bulk buy/machining?  How much would you
be willing to spend for a complete enclosure, with CNC-machines end plates
for either the B200 or B210?  Both of those numbers will help me when I
talk to my machinist. Also, Ettus folks, if there's any interest in me
getting you in contact with my machinist for a possible "official
enclosure", please contact me offline, and I'm happy to put you in touch.
I have a day job, and would rather spend my free time playing with my B200
than coordinating shipping, etc.. :) Thanks!Robert