[USRP-users] Issues with ettus.com ubuntu repo binaries

Anderson, Douglas J. danderson at its.bldrdoc.gov
Thu Sep 18 14:11:41 EDT 2014

Hello,

I wanted to to let whomever is responsible for Ettus's binary builds know about my experience of installing uhd/gnuradio via your repo on a clean Ubuntu install. Since most of us don't work with a fresh OS install very often, I hope this is useful.

I realize that some of the below problems appear to be related to GNURadio, but they are only issues in the way you package and distribute the binary of it.

STEPS:
 - Install Ubuntu 14.04 64bit on Dell E6500
 - Fully update OS
 - Follow commands for Master/Unstable here: http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki/GNURadio_Linux
 - $ uhd_fft
 Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
ImportError: No module named numpy

So, the python package "python-numpy" is a requirement of your gnuradio deb

 - $ sudo apt-get install python-numpy
 - $ uhd_fft
Segmentation Fault (core dump)

This issue seems to stem from a SWIG call between uhd and gnuardio somewhere. I reported this on the list the day that the new Unstable branch binaries were pushed. Another user reported a similar issue [titled uhd_fft 003.007.002 core dumps]. In my post I offered to dig more into the segfault if someone could tell me what information they needed, but had no takers. In both my post and the above one, it was suggested that the error was probably a previous version of a library getting mixed in. This is clearly not the case since I'm working with a fresh OS install. Might it be because your binary is looking for some library that it expects is installed, but that the deb file does not actually install?

 - $ sudo apt-get purge uhd gnuradio
 - $ sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ettus.list
 - I then followed instructions to install Releases/Bugfixes branch from the same website
 - $ uhd_fft
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.007.002-release

Error importing GNU Radio's wxgui. Please make sure gr-wxgui is installed.

Okay so I'm assuming that gr-wxgui was actually installed with gnuradio, but that maybe wxgtk and/or python bindings, which are dependencies, were not pulled in by your gnuradio deb...

 - $ sudo apt-get install python-wxtools
 - $ uhd_fft

Okay, now it runs!

All that's needed to fix most of these issues is to try running your binaries on a fresh install, see what it complains about, and add that as a dependency in the deb.

Regarding your segfault in Master/Unstable. I don't have any experience debugging compiled languages, but I'll reiterate that if anyone needs me to get more information, I'm willing to help. Just let me know what you need!

V/r,
-Doug

Douglas Anderson | Intern
DOC/NTIA/ITS-T | 325 Broadway St., Boulder, CO 80305 | P: 303 497 3582