[USRP-users] Help improving USRP B200 throughput

Jason Heym jpheym at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 23:30:20 EDT 2014

Martin,

Thank you for time and assistance.

By percent reliability I mean number of txrx_loopback_to_file commands
that succeeded without any underflow errors. The command line I used
is listed at the top of that spreadsheet I attached to my first
message. I now realize this is a somewhat less informative way of
testing versus benchmark_rate.

CPU usage by txrx_loopback_to_file is about 50% of one core on an 8
core Intel Core i7 CPU.  "benchmark_rate --tx_rate 16000000" uses 24%
of one core. All other cores are idle. And the computer is generally
idle (minimal programs running). CPU usage does not seem to be an
issue.

Yes I tried one other machine. It has an older NEC USB 3.0 controller
(not a great one) and showed similar results. I would like to try a
third machine or perhaps purchase a USB 3.0 adapter once I figure out
which USB 3.0 host controller chipset is most compatible with the USRP
B200. It is also possible I have a defective B200 board.

Yes I just tried benchmark_rate. 4 trials per rate, transmit and
receive. Summary of results:

(Transmit)
Num underflows detected for "benchmark_rate --tx_rate <rate>":
rate = 4000000:  0 0 0 0
rate = 8000000:  0 1 0 0
rate = 16000000: 1 1 5 0
rate = 32000000: 7 11 10 2

(Receive)
Num underflows detected for "benchmark_rate --rx_rate <rate>":
rate = 1000000: 0 <error> 0 0
rate = 2000000: <always error>
rate = 4000000: <always error>
rate = 8000000: <always error>

The errors seen in the receive benchmark tests are:

UHD Error:
    The receive packet handler caught an exception.
    RuntimeError: usb rx6 transfer status: 5
Receiver error: ERROR_CODE_BAD_PACKET
Unexpected error on recv, continuing...
(the above text repeated over 100 times)

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'uhd::runtime_error'
  what():  RuntimeError: usb tx4 submit failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_CODE -4
Aborted (core dumped)

I saw a similar pattern with txrx_loopback_to_file. Receive is much
more problematic.

Thanks again!
Jason