[USRP-users] firmware USRP

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Fri Sep 5 05:00:24 EDT 2014

Hi Steven,
>I want to know if i can change the code of firmware,
yes, you can. All our devices have open source firmware, which can be
found in the uhd repository of EttusResearch on github.

>which is the programming language of the firmware
The Firmware generally is written in C, and Ettus does its RTL
development in Verilog.

Generally, often people are a little disappointed what they can do with
the firmware: It's not doing any signal processing, but is only used to
set up the device and control it. Depending on which USRP we're looking
at, this includes bringing up the port controller, initializing the
FPGA, setting up the RF hardware etc. The actual signal processing,
being as high rate at it is at master clock rates of 32, 56, 100, 200MHz
(typical default rates of B100, B2x0, N2x0, and X3x0 USRPs), this can't
be done with a humble ARM or ZPU, so it's written in Verilog.

Greetings,
Marcus