[USRP-users] uhd_usrp_probe not working with NI USRP-2952R over PCI

Ashish Chaudhari ashish.chaudhari at ettus.com
Thu Oct 30 13:01:58 EDT 2014

Hi Sreeraj,

Its seems like the OS is recognizing the device but the USRP RIO driver
stack isn't. First, lets verify that all the necessary kernel modules are
actually loaded. Can you please post the output of
"/usr/local/bin/niusrprio_pcie status"? After you have run "sudo
/usr/local/bin/niusrprio_pcie start" it should look like the following:

$ /usr/local/bin/niusrprio_pcie status
Modules Loaded: nikal nibds nistreamk NiRioSrv niusrpriok
Server: niusrpriorpc

I should mention that the 3.17 kernel is newer than our officially
supported kernel versions and we have not verified it. To figure out if
this could be a kernel compatibility issue please run the following
commands and post the output of the last command.

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/niusrprio_pcie stop
$ sudo rm /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/client/*.o*
$ sudo rm /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/nikal/*.*o*
$ sudo /usr/local/bin/updateNIDrivers --no-prompt

I should also mention that the USRP RIO devices are not hot-pluggable over
PCIe. Even if the kernel has hot-plug support the USRP drivers don't and
you can get into a situation where the OS detects the device and the driver
stack does not. So (if you have not done this already) I would ask that you
try your tests after rebooting your host (leaving the USRP powered on).

Thanks,

*Ashish Chaudhari* | Senior Software Engineer | High Frequency Measurements
- RF
Ettus Research, *A National Instruments Company*
ashish.chaudhari at ettus.com