[USRP-users] gnuradio in ettus ubuntu repo is compiled against wrong old uhd release. (where is the gnuradio source package?)

Martin usrp-users-list at olifantasia.com
Thu Oct 30 07:41:20 EDT 2014

Hi,

When you follow the instructions on the ettus website to install the
binary packages of uhd and gnuradio on ubuntu 12.04 i386 then gnuradio
does not run.
The gnuradio package in the gnuradio pool is compiled against an older
uhd release (not uhd api compatible) then the uhd package that is in the
uhd pool.

You get an error that gnuradio is compiled against an older incompatible
uhd api and get the recommendation to either install an older uhd
release or to re-compile (parts of) gnuradio.

Can you please tell me where to find the source package for gnuradio.
(I cannot find it)
With the source package, I can rebuild gnuradio against the right uhd
release.

I also noted that the gnuradio binary package depends on the uhd
package, but not on a specific version of the uhd package.
Since the uhd api changes from time to time, the gnuradio package should
depend on a specific version range of uhd.

I would also recommend to update the gnuradio package in the repository.

Note that a lot of people still use the older ubuntu 12.04 in
combination with ettus USRPs, since the OpenBTS 4.0 quickstart instructs
to build on ubuntu 12.04 i386. (It has problems with the newer GCC in
ubuntu 14.04)

With best regards,

Martin Dudok van Heel

package repositories:
http://files.ettus.com/binaries/uhd_stable/repo/uhd/ubuntu/precise/
http://files.ettus.com/binaries/uhd_stable/repo/gnuradio/ubuntu/precise/

packages:
http://files.ettus.com/binaries/uhd_stable/repo/uhd/ubuntu/precise/pool/main/u/uhd/uhd_003.008.000-release_i386.deb
http://files.ettus.com/binaries/uhd_stable/repo/gnuradio/ubuntu/precise/pool/main/g/gnuradio/gnuradio_3.7.2.1-77_i386.deb

install instructions:
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki/GNURadio_Linux

     Releases/Bugfixes
         Copy and paste these commands into your terminal. This will
install GNU Radio+UHD as well as allow you to receive package updates.

         sudo bash -c 'echo "deb
http://files.ettus.com/binaries/uhd_stable/repo/uhd/ubuntu/`lsb_release
-cs` `lsb_release -cs` main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ettus.list'
         sudo bash -c 'echo "deb
http://files.ettus.com/binaries/uhd_stable/repo/gnuradio/ubuntu/`lsb_release
-cs` `lsb_release -cs` main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ettus.list'
         sudo apt-get update
         sudo apt-get install -t `lsb_release -cs` uhd gnuradio