[USRP-users] b210 tx power

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras ralph at schmid.xxx
Thu Oct 30 07:21:29 EDT 2014

Hi,

> I don't have measurements for the b210, but the ones for the b200 tx
(which
> should be pretty identical to the b210) indicate that the variation of TX
power
> between 100MHz and 2GHz is about 6dB max (for the 30dB gain case). So,
> depending on what you consider to be remarkable, you might call this a

My estimation was near 10dB, but OK, 6dB are possible, too.

> remarkable drop; however, I don't think TX power is that critical for GSM;
> what are the operational differences you see at 1.8GHz?

At least the operational range drops significantly, even on line of sight.
The Rangenetworks SDR1 delivers at 1.8GHz about the same downlink range like
the B210 at 900 MHz, while the B210 at 1.8GHz only has half or a third of
the SDR1 range. Of course with identical antennae, identical location,
identical phone.

This discussion makes me curious, I will measure it with my old HP and tell
about the results.

> Another thing that happened to me a few times and made me question my
> sanity was connecting to the wrong port of my USRP (that was with N210s,
> though).

Oh, yes, you are mentioning here a not so bright spot of my experiments,
when coverage ended at the door of my office. WTF?! Took me a while to
figure out. This resulted in putting red caps onto the usually unused ports
of my B210 :-)

> Greetings,
> Marcus

Ralph.