[USRP-users] UHD utilities

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Mon Oct 27 13:51:09 EDT 2014

Hi Stephen,

what does "run them smoothly" imply?
running them by double clicking should work fine, but you won't see any
of the output, which is the functional equivalent of doesn't work.
Generally, most of the utilities are command line based, and thus you'll
need to run them from the console. As a rule of thumb, running them with
--help will give you an overview of how to use them.
For example

rx_samples_to_file --help

will give you something like

linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.3 20140911 (Red Hat 4.8.3-7); Boost_105300; UHD_003.008.000-9-ga41527e3

UHD RX samples to file Allowed options:

  --help                         help message

  --args arg                     multi uhd device address args

  --file arg (=usrp_samples.dat) name of the file to write binary samples to

  --type arg (=short)            sample type: double, float, or short

  --nsamps arg (=0)              total number of samples to receive

  --time arg (=0)                total number of seconds to receive

  --spb arg (=10000)             samples per buffer

  --rate arg (=1000000)          rate of incoming samples

  --freq arg (=0)                RF center frequency in Hz

  --gain arg                     gain for the RF chain

  --ant arg                      daughterboard antenna selection

  --subdev arg                   daughterboard subdevice specification

  --bw arg                       daughterboard IF filter bandwidth in Hz

  --ref arg (=internal)          reference source (internal, external, mimo)

  --wirefmt arg (=sc16)          wire format (sc8 or sc16)

  --setup arg (=1)               seconds of setup time

  --progress                     periodically display short-term bandwidth

  --stats                        show average bandwidth on exit

  --sizemap                      track packet size and display breakdown on

                                 exit

  --null                         run without writing to file

  --continue                     don't abort on a bad packet

  --skip-lo                      skip checking LO lock status

  --int-n                        tune USRP with integer-N tuning

So, assuming the USRP you are using (which USRP are you using? If it is
USRP1/B100/E100/E110/USRP2/N200/N210/X300/X310: which daughterboard?)
works in the 900MHz band:

rx_samples_to_file --rate 1e6 --freq 900e6 --gain 20 --file data.uint16
--nsamps 1e7

Will record a 1 MHz bandwidth around 900MHz (==899.5MHz-900.5MHz) to the
file data.uint16, setting the rx chain gain to 20dB, and stopping after
10s (nsamps/rate).

I hope that was helpful!

Greetings,
Marcus