[USRP-users] N210 Stops Transmitting

Liwei xieliwei+usrp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 07:29:56 EDT 2014


Hi Marcus,
    Not multiple N210s. I've just tried out the spare N210, and it is
working fine for both TX and RX. I think this possibly narrows it down
to a hardware issue with the N210. Any way to figure out what is
wrong?

Thanks
Liwei

On 20 October 2014 23:21,  <mleech at ripnet.com> wrote:
> This issue survives multiple computers, and multiple N210s?
>
>
>
> Again, make sure that Network Manager isn't "owning" the device and turning
> it off due to failed DHCP.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 2014-10-20 10:24, Liwei wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>     Sigh, should have known I'm not lucky enough to have this go away.
> Couldn't get transmit to work without stopping when I checked in
> today. Did the same things I did yesterday to try to replicate the
> result, but no go.
>     So here's the information requested.
>     Unfortunately, I can't get tx_waveforms running long enough to see
> it do anything on top, even with delay set to 0.5s. id hovers above
> 95% and us hovers below 4% or so:
>         %Cpu(s):  1.0 us,  0.5 sy,  0.0 ni, 98.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,
>  0.0 si,  0.0 st
>     tx_waveforms seems to be doing nothing once transmission stops:
>         PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM
> TIME+ COMMAND
>         4554 xieliwei -51   0  173568  11876  10756 S   0.0  0.1
> 0:00.09 tx_waveforms
>     Here's how running tx_waveforms look like, the "S" appears
> instantly and nothing gets transmitted:
> $ /usr/lib/uhd/examples/tx_waveforms --rate 200000 --freq 144300000
> --gain 20 --wave-type CONST
> linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.008.000-6-gbde8e9a3
>
>
> Creating the usrp device with: ...
> -- Opening a USRP2/N-Series device...
> -- Current recv frame size: 1472 bytes
> -- Current send frame size: 1472 bytes
> Using Device: Single USRP:
>   Device: USRP2 / N-Series Device
>   Mboard 0: N210r4
>   RX Channel: 0
>     RX DSP: 0
>     RX Dboard: A
>     RX Subdev: WBXv3 RX+GDB
>   TX Channel: 0
>     TX DSP: 0
>     TX Dboard: A
>     TX Subdev: WBXv3 TX+GDB
>
> Setting TX Rate: 0.200000 Msps...
> Actual TX Rate: 0.200000 Msps...
>
> Setting TX Freq: 144.300000 MHz...
> -- Tune Request: 144.300000 MHz
> --   The RF LO does not support the requested frequency:
> --     Requested LO Frequency: 144.300000 MHz
> --     RF LO Result: 144.299451 MHz
> --   Attempted to use the DSP to reach the requested frequency:
> --     Desired DSP Frequency: 0.000549 MHz
> --     DSP Result: 0.000549 MHz
> --   Successfully tuned to 144.300000 MHz
> --
> Actual TX Freq: 144.300000 MHz...
>
> Setting TX Gain: 20.000000 dB...
> Actual TX Gain: 20.000000 dB...
>
> Setting device timestamp to 0...
> Checking TX: LO: locked ...
> Press Ctrl + C to stop streaming...
> S
>
>
>     As for NetworkManager being the cause, I have it set to manual
> configuration, no go. It won't explain how receive works fine while
> transmit stops too, and the problem is the same on OS X on an entirely
> different laptop. Nothing in the system logs too.
>
>     I'm starting to suspect that the N210 I have is faulty.
>
> Thanks
> Liwei
>
>
> On 20 October 2014 02:17, Liwei <xieliwei+usrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, My mind is officially blown now. Everything suddenly works. After
> returning the MacBook to my friend, I started collecting the data Marcus
> asked for. The first thing I did was to load new firmware with
> usrp_n2xx_simple_net_burner (since the UHD version on my laptop is newer
> than the one from macports on the MBP). Next I tried to run the tx_waveforms
> test as suggested. I was expecting the same result since tx_waveforms should
> behave similar to uhd_siggen. To my surprise, it actually worked without
> issue. So I went back to uhd_siggen thinking maybe the problem lies with
> gnuradio. Again, I was surprised when it actually worked fine. Then I tried
> the test flow graph, then the flow graph I was working on, on fast ethernet,
> on the USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter, and even Wi-Fi. Now I have uhd_siggen
> running at 2.5Msps over Wi-Fi for the past 15 minutes without issue. 3 weeks
> recompiling different UHD/GNURadio versions, power cycling, firmware
> updating, swapping network devices around, network capturing, and things
> suddenly start working without clear explanation. So there are a few things
> that could have solved the problem: 1. Switching to the older
> firmware/UHD/gnuradio version from the MBP 2. Switching back to the new
> firmware/UHD/gnuradio version from my laptop 3. Running tx_waveforms (does
> it do anything especially different from uhd_siggen?) 4. Sentience, I did
> hint in my previous email of replacing this USRP unit with the spare ;) To
> be sure, I just power cycled the N210 and rebooted my laptop. Still works.
> Hopefully this holds up and what I've provided so far is of use in figuring
> out what exactly was happening. Thanks Liwei On 20 October 2014 00:55, Liwei
> <xieliwei+usrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Whoops, attached the generated python instead of the flow graph. See
> attached. On 20 October 2014 00:50, Liwei <xieliwei+usrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Marcus, Marcus, Thanks for the reply. I'll get back to what the two of
> you have asked me to check in the next email. At the moment, I managed to
> get myself a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (running OS 10.10) from a friend. It runs
> on a 2.66GHz i7-620M (Arrandale) processor with a BCM5701 gigabit ethernet
> controller.
>
> --Snip--




More information about the USRP-users mailing list