[USRP-users] Mac OS X 10.10 Advice

Michael Dickens michael.dickens at ettus.com
Sun Oct 19 21:56:28 EDT 2014

GNU Radio and UHD seem to generally work well with the recently released Mac OS X 10.10.  In my testing, everything in UHD works.  And, everything in GNU Radio works -except- for executing flow-graphs from with the GNU Radio Companion (GRC); GRC can compile scripts (the file is created; or, via “grcc” on the command line), and the resulting Python executes correctly.  But, executing a compiled GRC script from within GRC fails.  I found CPU usage on Wx and Qt graphs a little lower on 10.10 than prior OSs; nice!

There is no clear solution to this issue at this time; I’m working on it as time allows, but it’s looking like something that Apple will have to fix — not a GNU Radio or UHD issue directly.

Thus, my recommendation is to stay with Mac OS X 10.9 or earlier if you want to be able to execute flow graphs from within GRC.  I’ll post again once I know something more.  Please feel free to ping me & I’ll discuss the issue in more depth with anyone interested. - MLD