[USRP-users] B210 RF Specifications

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Mon Oct 13 08:29:23 EDT 2014

Hello Claudia,

this is a bit a fuzzy question -- since this RF, things are inherently
frequency dependent. Now, as a rule of thumb, max single sinusoid output
is about 20dBm for the highest gain setting, for frequencies
significantly lower than 6 GHz.

Minimum power is a tough one -- I'd assume that depends on how you
measure, but it will usually be "off", but you'd have to realize that
the minimum amplitude is a single bit of the DAC -- it stands discussion
if the resulting rectangular signal is a sinus carrier. Generally the
minimum output should be outshined by the inevitable LO leakage.

The B210 is not a calibrated device -- so unless you measure yourself,
you will never know these numbers. Measuring RF power inherently needs
some experience, though -- while the SMA-SMA cables Ettus sells are
rated up to 6GHz, many HF cables available on the market are RG-178 or
even RG-174, and exhibit significant attenuation for frequencies higher
than 3GHz. Also, cables have a impedance specified within some
tolerance, and mismatching of course leads to frequency-dependent
measurement errors. So to sum this up: We can only offer you a maximum
power for a given frequency on a measured B2x0 as measured with our
measurement devices. If you want to know exactly what comes out of your
antenna, you'll need to calibrate your overall system, including, but
not limited to, the USRP.

Greetings,
Marcus