[USRP-users] USRP2 Antenna for 2.4GHz-2.5GHz

Michael Schwingen michael at schwingen.org
Tue Oct 7 13:17:55 EDT 2014

On 07.10.2014 17:54, Martin Braun via USRP-users wrote:
> Roland,
>
> the VERT2450 will do both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, you can get it via our
> web site. You can connect anything with an SMA connector, so if you want
> to go really cheap, you could build your own antenna (see, e.g.
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/).
Not sure if this is a good idea - AFAIR, Oliver Bartels did some
measurements on pringles-based cantennas in the german c't magazine and
came to the result that it worked noticeably worse than a properly sized
waveguide cantenna.

If you have no special requirements regarding directionality, a simple
dipole should be easy to build (or pull off an old 2.4GHz-only WLAN device).

Otherwise, I have had good success (for WLAN operation) with both a
"real" cantenna like these:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

and with a bi-quad like this:

http://trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm