[USRP-users] VHDL and RFNoC

Eddie Carle eddie at isatec.ca
Mon Dec 29 19:17:46 EST 2014

Hi Matt. Thanks for the answers. It cleared things up well.

On Mon, 2014-12-29 at 10:41 -0800, Matt Ettus wrote:

>               * Can I get the gnuradio build to send symbols instead
>         of samples?
>                 In this case it would ultimately just be a two bit
>         integer.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean here.

I suppose this is more of a GNU Radio question but I figured it relevant
in the context of what's going on inside the FPGA. My encoder operates
on a stream of QPSK symbols. They can only take on four possible values
and are thus represented by two bits inside the FPGA. Should I wish to
communicate a symbol stream back and forth between the host and the FPGA
I could represent said symbols as 8 bit integers but that would be quite
a waste of throughput. I guess my question is, since GNU radio will now
start representing data steams not just on the host but also on the FPGA
is there a method (or plans) to allow for types that are more suitable
for the FPGA side of things (like bit arrays of an arbitrary length)?
--
	Eddie Carle