[USRP-users] Fwd: GNURadio USRP Tablet

Timothy Schaffer reffahcs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:00:16 EST 2014

Hate to say it depends, but it depends on your application.

There's an excellent guide here:
http://discourse.criticalengineering.org/t/howto-gsm-base-station-with-the-beaglebone-black-debian-gnu-linux-and-a-usrp/56
which describes using a USRP B200 and a Beagle Bone Black to run OpenBTS.
It's not straightforward, but not too difficult, it is however much easier
(and faster) than on a raspberry pi.

If you're willing to write some HDL you could roll your own firmware and do
all the processing in the FPGA (there was just a thread about this
yesterday or the day prior) and then just use the tablet as a display.

Depending on your application, you might want to look into an Intel NUC
together with a touch screen. You can find NUCs with USB 3.0 to give you a
high sample rate if required, but it's small enough to be portable...not
sure what your definition of portable is though.

If you're set on a tablet there's a number of programs that already exist
for the RTL-SDRs that can connect to any android device via USB-OTG. This
would be limited to a single antenna receive only application however.

I hope this helps. Can you elaborate on your project if possible?

-Tim