[USRP-users] B2xx fpga modification

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Wed Dec 17 03:42:21 EST 2014

Hello Donald,

if inserting your own code is your goal, maybe the B2x0 is not the
optimal platform -- it offers little free ressources, as most of the
FPGA is used by the digital signal processing, data flow and control
necessary for operation.
Also, for the third generation, RFNoC (RF Network on Chip) is the
flexible new architecture, designed to allow you to easily define new
blocks of functionality and define how data flows in and out of these
[1]. Sadly, this requires features you can't get with the FPGA on the
B2x0 -- it works on the X series.
So if your question really was "how to modify third generation FPGA
images", the answer would be "go for RF NoC, it might make your life
sooo much easier"; if your question was in fact B2x0-centric, then the
answer is would be something like "it depends; assuming you want to do
DSP, maybe have a look into fpga-src/usrp3/top/b200/b200_radio.v to get
a bit of an overview on what happens with samples, and then have a look
at usrp3/lib/dsp/ddc_chain.v".

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd/wiki/RFNoC:-Getting-Started