[USRP-users] Strange behavior of N210 with timed commands

LOUF Laurent laurent.louf at thalesgroup.com
Fri Dec 12 08:58:22 EST 2014

Hello,

I'm not quite sure how to use this mailing list so do not hesitate to redirect me to a better place or to someone that may know the answer to my question.

That being said, I'm currently working with an USRP N210 at work and observed a strange behavior on which I would like to have your input. I use the USRP to receive a signal, apply a channel simulation on it and transmit the signal obtained. I have absolutely no problem on the receive part but one little on the transmit part. The signal I use is sampled at 2Msamples / second, and I work on frames of 1250 samples, so frames of 625µs. So the whole process goes that way, I receive a frame, apply the channel simulation and then transmit it, at a fixed interval.

The problem occurs now : I do some calculations based on the time when I receive the first frame, add the latency of my system and a number of times 625µs corresponding to the number of frames sent, which makes the time to transmit the frame, that is sent to the USRP along with the current frame. If I put an interval of exactly 625µs, I get a fastpath message "L" every two frames, and I can see that the data of the second frame is not transmitted. If I put an interval of 625,1µs, everything seems to work fine and I don't get any error. The metadata I send along with the frame are : start_of_burst = true , end_of_burst = true , has_time_spec = true and the time spec I got from my calculations. That feels strange to me since I don't even have to add the time corresponding to one sample to get it to work (0,5µs). Could it be something related to the burst mode that I'm using ? I did not fully get that part reading the documentation, so feel free to enlighten me on that subject.

Thanks in advance for any answer,
Laurent Louf.

[@@OPEN @@]