[USRP-users] LFTX output amplitude (Michael Rahaim)

Michael Rahaim mrahaim at bu.edu
Fri Dec 12 09:50:19 EST 2014

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not extremely familiar with the details of the
hardware implementation within the USRP - Am I correct in saying that the
CORDIC processor implements the interpolation on the FPGA within the USRP
motherboard and the LFTX implements the complex multiplication of the up
sampled signal with the carrier?

In that case, the "attenuated" signal that I'm seeing is in fact due to the
interpolation and depends on the phase value when I set the carrier back to
0. This seems to imply that the LFTX is in fact passing the I and Q
components through when the carrier is set to 0; but my the real valued
signal that was passed to the USRP has been transformed to a complex value
that is dependent on the value of PHASE before it reaches the LFTX. This
makes sense since I see the signal split across the LFTX outputs (A and B)
which I'm assuming are the I and Q components of the carrier multiplied
complex signal. (Please feel free to send me a virtual slap if I'm saying
something nonsensical).

Regarding my reason for asking, I'm working with an IM/DD optical wireless
setup that can either utilize real valued baseband techniques or passband
techniques at a low frequency carrier. I'd like to be able to switch
between techniques dynamically, but I never know what the amplitude of my
signal will be when I go back to the baseband modulation. I could stop and
restart the flow graph whenever I switch, but I was curious if there was a
way to reinitialize on the fly.

Thanks again for your help,

-Mike