[USRP-users] Using an X310 as an NI RIO

Patrick Sisterhen patrick.sisterhen at ni.com
Thu Dec 11 18:20:19 EST 2014

Jeremy,

Good question.  As you've seen, the LabVIEW code on the host is looking
for supported daughterboard IDs in the device flash.  Luckily, we ship
utilities that can populate these.

1. Make sure you have the newest NI-USRP (14.0) installed.

2.  Open <Program Files (x86)>\National Instruments\LabVIEW
2014\vi.lib\LabVIEW Targets\FPGA\USRP\niusrprio_tools.llb\Examine Flash.vi

   Select your device's RIO name (e.g. "RIO0") and Run it.

   Note the values in the EEPROM Header section that are populated when
you run the VI on your device.

3. Open <Program Files (x86)>\National Instruments\LabVIEW
2014\vi.lib\LabVIEW Targets\FPGA\USRP\niusrprio_tools.llb\Write EEPROM
Header.vi

   Copy the values from the Examine Flash VI to the corresponding fields
in the Write EEPROM Header VI...

      EXCEPT: fill in the values of your Daughterboard IDs in those
fields.

   Double check that you're not changing anything on your device other
than the Daughterboard IDs, then Run the VI.

After that, the VIs in the niUsrpRio Configuration Host VIs (which were
complaining before) should let you use the device with LabVIEW FPGA.

Notes:

   - Your Ettus-branded device will not have any correction data in the
flash, so the host LV VIs might complain about that.  You'll have to use
the Configure Signal (Gain) variants of the Configure Signal VI.  Also,
you'll have to set the "Correct Impairments?" input to False on that VI.
   - Take your time and be careful updating the flash.  You only want to
change the Daughterboard IDs

Patrick Sisterhen
National Instruments

----- Message from Jeremy Hershberger <Jeremy.L.Hershberger.16 at nd.edu> on
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 12:09:08 -0500 -----
To:
usrp-users at lists.ettus.com
Subject:
[USRP-users] Using an X310 as an NI RIO
What changes are required to use an X310 over PCI in LabView as an NI RIO?

I have tried overwriting the X310's image with the NI RIO's image from the
LabView FPGA tool but when running a LabView VI that works on the RIO,
LabView throws an error that the daughtercards are not recognized.

I have also tried removing the daughtercards from a RIO and installing
them into the X310 but LabView still says the daughtercards are not
recognized.

It is easy to turn an NI RIO into an X310 by overwriting the RIO's image
with the standard X310 image, but why is the other direction more
difficult?

-Jeremy