[USRP-users] Phase Noise for USRP N200 with LFTX/LFRX

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Thu Dec 11 11:05:27 EST 2014

On 12/11/2014 10:23 AM, khalid.el-darymli wrote:

> On another note, since the reference clock for the whole system will
> be the external 10 MHz signal, the digital images would be situated at
> multiples of this 10 MHz frequency (i.e., m*10 MHz - [e.g., carrier
> frequency] 15 MHz; m=-/+1, -+2, ...). Hence, for this case, the first
> few images will fall within the bandwidth of the built-in LFTX/LFRX
> LPF filter. However, based on your earlier explanation,these are
> totally taken care of 'digitally' and I don't have to worry about any
> of that, am I right?
NO.  The 10MHz external clock is used as a *reference*.  The samples are
still clocked-out to the DAC at 100MHz, the reference clocks are used to
   synthesize all the internal clocks, which run at a fixed rate, and
the DAC/ADC are clocked at 100MHz, regardless of whether you are using the
   internal reference, or the external reference.