[USRP-users] Description of Timestamp & I/Q samples out of the radio & CHDR

Martin Braun martin.braun at ettus.com
Wed Dec 10 09:20:16 EST 2014

On 12/10/2014 03:06 PM, seb fenn via USRP-users wrote:
> Martin
>
> Many thanks for your answers.
>
> When you refer to 'The Manual' are you referring to this:
>
> http://files.ettus.com/manual/

Yes, but that's the version of the current stable release. When you
build UHD on your machine, enable building the manual through CMake and
you will have a version of the Doxgyen manual that includes RFNoC stuff.
The CHDR manual page is on master, too.
By doing this, you'll always have an up-to-date manual on your machine
which reflects the state of your current UHD state.

> The point I was trying to make that I am attempting to add custom
> logic into the FPGA fabric itself. To successfully do this, I need to
> know EXACTLY the format of data returned over the AXI bus (CHDR
> data). Looking at software APIs doesn't tell me how this data is
> structured on the AXI streaming bus, or what it means. For example I
> need to know which entry in the packet the timestamp is so I can trap
> it in my logic (I think it is the second word BTW).

I would not underestimate the amount of information in the manual. A lot
of the workings on the FPGA are mirrored somewhere in the C++ world.

Also, we have examples of RFNoC blocks in our branch you should check
out. They have examples for state machines to track CHDR data, for example.

Cheers,
Martin