[USRP-users] Underflows problem but limited CPU usage

Michael West michael.west at ettus.com
Tue Dec 9 19:20:19 EST 2014

That sounds like an OS issue to me.  A few things to try:

- Enable Receive Side Scaling (if not already enabled)
- Increase the size of the receive socket buffer
- Disable all power management (may be throttling CPU cores)
- Use a single Ethernet connection (reduce the number of network interrupts)

Hardware interrupts trump all software, so changing priority will not
matter if there are more hardware interrupts to process than can be
processed (i.e. from the NIC and mouse).  A good test is to see how much
kernel activity there is on each core when shaking the console window and
running UHD.  If there is a concentrated kernel load on a single core, that
is a good indication that all interrupts are being handled by a single core
and that is why packet processing is being delayed.  Enabling Receive Side
Scaling will spread the network interrupts among the cores and increasing
the socket buffer will give more time to process the interrupts.

Regards,
Michael E. West