[USRP-users] usrp x300 detection over pcie

Stan Vitebsky svite at lgsinnovations.com
Fri Dec 5 12:36:19 EST 2014

Hello,

I have a problem  detecting usrp x300 over PCIe ExpressCard interface
with Lenovo W540
(it behaves the same way with Ubuntu 13.10 (kernel version 3.11) and
with Centos 6.5 (modified kernel version 3.10)):

When the pc boots with NI 8360 card inserted and usrp turned on , the
output of the "lspci -v" command indicates the presence of of the card
like so:
"PCI bridge:PLX Technology Inc. PEX 8505 5-lane 5 port PCI Express
Switch .......Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: National Instruments Device
8360",
however it does not show the usrp itself behind the card.

lspci -k -d 1093:4c4c doesn't return anything. It's the same whether the
niusrprio drivers are installed or not.

I have a different PC which successfully detects the same usrp with the
same expresscard kit with exactly the same versions of Ubuntu 13.10 and
Centos 6.5,
In that case, the "lspci -v" command in addition to the above output for
the PCI Express Switch with the card also outputs:
"Signal processing controller: National Instruments PXIe/PCIe Device,
Subsystem: National Instruments Device 7736".

Has anybody encountered a similar situation and is there any workaround
/ solution in OS or on the USRP side?
In your opinion, if not Ettus, is this W540 BIOS issue, an NI
ExpressCard issue or both ?

My observation is that x3x0 PCI expresscard interface support on
different host laptop hardware is very unpredictable
so I would use a lot of caution before committing to this configuration.

-Stan