[USRP-users] about saving signal into RAMdisk (Min)

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Thu Dec 4 11:52:57 EST 2014

Hello Min,

nice hearing from you!
I'll answer in text:
On 12/04/2014 09:13 AM, Tianyang Min wrote:

> And You Suggested me to save samples to a ramdisk.
>
> here I have three questions :
> 1. Do you mean that save the signal into PC's RAM or
>    Save the signal into FPGA's RAM?

The PC's RAM.

> 2. if save to PC's RAM, how can I do that ?

I don't know what operating system or distribution you are using, but
this guide might help you:
http://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/943-create-a-ram-disk-in-linux

>    I used to save received signal into disk using file sink block in GRC
>    for the case of saving into the RAM, what should I do ?

Save it to a file, but place this file in a filesystem that is not
stored on a disk but in RAM.

> 3. if save to FPGA's RAM, how can I access to the signal later on?

You can't save it to the N210's RAM. It's already used for
buffering, which is basically what you want.

>     also, Is it necessary to add a new RAM into the FPGA, or just use
>     the existed RAM inside FPGA?

you can't use the RAM in the N210.

Best regards,
Marcus