[USRP-users] RF sensor time stamp synchronization across long distances

Urban Hakansson uhakansson at tecore.com
Mon Dec 1 17:29:05 EST 2014

Hi everybody,

I am considering an application with multiple USRPs in an RF sensor network, the sensors being located on the order of at least 100 feet apart.

I am thinking of a way of ensuring that at least the UHD packet time stamps sent by each RF sensor over Ethernet to a central server for processing are synchronized to each other.

Would it be possible to just feed each USRP with a 1 PPS signal, or do I need to feed the USRPs both the 10MHz and the 1 PPS reference signals as a pair. Everything I have read indicates they are both needed, but I just want to make sure.

Could I use the Octoclock G and run +100 feet of coax to multiple URSP (RF sensors)? In other words how much attenuation could the 10MHz and the 1 PPS reference signals suffer due to path-loss through extremely long runs of cable before becoming unusable?

Is there another and better way of synchronizing the UHD packet time-stamps between RF sensors located far apart (one the order of 100 feet or more)?

Thanks for you consideration.

Regards,

Urban Hakansson
Senior Software Engineer
Tecore Networks
Phone: +1 410 872 6315
Fax: +1 410 872 6010
Email: uhakansson at tecore.com

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       This e-mail may contain privileged, confidential, copyrighted or other legally protected information, and is intended exclusively for the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (even if the e-mail address above is yours), you may not review, store, use, copy, disclose or retransmit it in any form.  If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise have received this by mistake, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail (or sysadmin at tecore.com), then delete the message in its entirety. Thank you.