[USRP-users] Direct Programming the FPGA

Ian Buckley ianb at ionconcepts.com
Mon Dec 1 13:45:27 EST 2014

Eddie,
You are right to be concerned about the amount of work involved in building an X300 image from scratch.
Some of the interfaced logic use's high speed interfaces and/or has tricky programming and there's been a vast amount of man hours spent on getting that all working well.
All the HDL code is published here: https://github.com/EttusResearch/fpga/tree/master look under the usrp3 directory for X300 related code.
Most X300 peripheral programming is actually done on the host from the UHD code base, just the actual SPI/I2C controllers etc are on the X300.

In most cases such as your own it's possible to do a little creative hacking and insert your custom HDL into the Ettus HDL and then piggyback on all the work already done in UHD.

There is also a new Ettus methodology to customize the X300 HDL called RFNoC which might work for you: https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd/wiki/RFNoC:-Getting-Started

I have built entirely custom FPGA designs for older USRP's such as the N210 which are simpler system designs and that might be another approach to consider if you don't need the full X300 performance/capacity. However older USRPs only support ISE rather than Vivado.

-Ian