[USRP-users] B200: Exploring the Wireless World

Balint Seeber balint.seeber at ettus.com
Fri Sep 20 19:58:09 EDT 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for checking out the video. I had great fun travelling & exploring
with this radio!

As for the apps, most are/will soon be available either from me, or in the
form of other repos/implementations.
There are quite a few updates & changes I made for the video that I haven't
been able to push yet, but when I get a chance to tidy them up (hopefully
starting next week), I'll post some updates on Twitter.

   1. Broadcast FM & RDS: https://github.com/balint256/gr-rds
   (Based on the original gr-rds <https://bitbucket.org/azimout/gr-rds/>,
   with updates/new receiver GRC flowgraph)
   2. APRS: https://github.com/balint256/gr-packetradio
   (Based on the original
gr-packetradio<http://digilander.libero.it/iz2eeq/>with lots of
improvements/new receiver GRC flowgraph)
   3. AIS: this is a new AIS implementation (based on
   https://github.com/rubund/gnuais/) that uses GRC flowgraphs and the
   multi-channel decoder system in gr-baz<https://github.com/balint256/gr-baz>.
   OpenCPN <http://opencpn.org/ocpn/> is used to plot the ships, and
gpsd<http://www.catb.org/gpsd/>sits between the two. I haven't had a
chance to push this yet, but will do
   so.
   4.
      - HDSDR: http://www.hdsdr.de/
      Complete installer for Windows (with USRP ExtIO plugin,
      auto-downloads HDSDR, does not require GNU Radio):
      http://wiki.spench.net/wiki/USRP_Interfaces *NOTE:* I am adding B200
      support for this hopefully next week!
      In the video I run HDSDR under Wine, and use the BorIP
server<http://wiki.spench.net/wiki/BorIP_Server>in
      gr-baz <https://github.com/balint256/gr-baz> to connect HDSDR (via
      loopback network interface) to hardware (in this case GNU Radio and UHD)
      because Wine, as amazing as it is, does not currently implement the
      necessary USB sub-system.
      - baudline: http://www.baudline.com/
      The 'Baudline Sink' GRC block used is in
gr-baz<https://github.com/balint256/gr-baz>
      5. Mode S: there are quite a few implementations out there, one of
   the popular ones is gr-modes <https://www.cgran.org/wiki/gr-air-modes>
   6. ACARS: gr-baz <https://github.com/balint256/gr-baz> (new)
   7. RADAR: gr-baz <https://github.com/balint256/gr-baz> (new)
   8. gr-ieee802-11: I had some initial new
work<https://github.com/balint256/gr-ieee802-11>to enable capturing
raw 802.11 frames in Wireshark using the GR TUN/TAP
   block (shown in the video), but I believe the original authors have made
   fixes/upgrades, which now include this feature:
   https://www.cgran.org/wiki/gr-ieee802-11

Don't forget that since the default master clock rate is 32 MHz, certain
apps won't get the sample rate they request due to the
decimation/interpolation chain! In this case, make sure you pass
"master_clock_rate=X" as the UHD device 'args' so set the master clock rate
to something that works with your app (e.g. "master_clock_rate=20e6" for
gr-ieee802-11 to enable 20 MHz for 802.11a, or even
"master_clock_rate=40e6" for faster B2x0 init - this will automatically
decimate by two in the FPGA so the host still gets 20 Msps, whereas with
20e6, the decimation chain will be by-passed).

Also don't forget that the RX/TX gain range is much larger for the B2x0! So
anything with a cap of 30 (e.g. GUI slider) should actually be extended to
90 (really 89.8). (I have a trick for doing this dynamically in GRC with a
new 'Any Code' block, and I'll push/talk about this later in gr-baz.)

Hope that helps you get you on your way! Stay tuned for updates...

Kind regards,

Balint