[USRP-users] CogWave open-source software

Vincent Le Nir vincent.lenir at rma.ac.be
Mon Feb 11 10:34:43 EST 2013

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce that we have just released CogWave, an
open-source software platform aiming at developing cognitive radio
waveforms.

The CogWave software allows the exchange of video, audio and text
between two USRPs through a graphical user interface (GUI) developed in
Qt4/Gstreamer and cognitive radio waveforms developed in IT++. The USRP
hardware driver (UHD) C++ application programming interface (API) allows
to receive and transmit IQ samples. Combining CogWave with USRP gives a
rapid prototyping platform for physical layer design and algorithm
validation through a real-time video, audio and text transmission. For
more information, please have a look at our website
www.sic.rma.ac.be/~vlenir/CogWave

So far, we have implemented a cognitive BlindOFDM waveform. This
waveform is an orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM)-based
waveform divided into multiple sub-channels with a spectrum sensing
block based on energy detection to determine the best sub-channel for
transmission. Multiple users are handled by orthogonal frequency
division multiple access (OFDMA) and full-duplex is enabled by time
division duplexing (TDD). A complete OFDM blind receiver which does not
require the use of pilot symbols is used for time, frequency, phase
offset and channel estimation. Cyclic redundancy check (CRC) and forward
error correction (FEC) are used to detect and correct errors within a
frame's preamble and postamble.

The CogWave project was initiated at the department Communication,
Information, Systems & Sensors (CISS) at the Royal Military Academy
(RMA), Belgium and is hosted on GitHub:
https://github.com/vlenircissrma/CogWave

Best regards
Vincent Le Nir