[USRP-users] Purpose of 24-bit CORDIC in DDC chain?

Ian Buckley ianb at ionconcepts.com
Wed Apr 3 03:29:08 EDT 2013

Florian, Your understanding at this point is very good: The CIC provides arbitrary programable decimation at very little FPGA resource usage but has very significant pass band roll off. The two half bands have fixed decimation of 2 each but have very linear passband response. Having the Halfbands cascaded after the CIC allows us to keep the total system passband within the largely linear portion of the CIC frequency response…thus the reason it is highly desirable in practical applications using USRPs to have a total system decimation within the USRP that factors by 4 so that both Halfbands can be enabled…..further decimation (often with awkward ratio's) that suit the particular application can then be performed in GNURadio where the now reduced sample rate makes it computationally feasible. The reason by the way that the two halfbands are different implementations is that the small halfband can sustain a throughput of one input sample per clock cycle, where as the large halfband can only sustain a throughput of one input sample every two clock cycles because it reuses the physical multipliers with different coefficients to form more logical taps without doubling the size of the hardware.

In terms of the setting registers configuring the DSP's, yes the ZPU is responsible for actually writing them, but most of the intelligence behind calculating the programmed values is indeed implemented in UHD code on the Host.