[USRP-users] High CPU utilization (100%) when streaming two concurrent channels regardless of sample rate

Pruitt, Paul N. PAUL.N.PRUITT at saic.com
Mon Apr 1 13:43:06 EDT 2013

Josh,

Thank you for the prompt response!

Some background disk writes occur while streaming in this particular
application. With a single channel, that disk I/O "keeps up."  When I
attempt to stream two simultaneous channels, even at lower aggregate
rates, it doesn't.  Also, the system becomes unresponsive at times
during two-channel tests.

Though the conversion thread does run at realtime (SCHED_RR) priority,
it is very odd that the added CPU load would affect the system like
that. The software is running on a quad-core/8-thread Core i7 laptop
with several idle cores/threads. I am using Centos 6.4 and their 2.6.32
kernel, which is pretty old.

Now I see the yields in reusable_barrier. You would swap the barrier in
converter_thread_task() with condition variables? If you'd be willing to
sketch out what I should change, I will test it out and report back.

Best regards,
Paul