[USRP-users] user defined outputs in custom modules

Tim Schuschies tim.schuschies at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:26:16 EDT 2012

2012/9/24 Josh Blum <josh at ettus.com>

> On 09/24/2012 08:47 AM, Tim Schuschies wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I'm actually trying to implement a custom dsp rx module for USRP2 FPGA. I
> > am using the template from Ettus and it looks like it works, but now I
> need
> > to send data out of the module besides the already defined signals. Is
> > there a possibility to define an other output to such a custom module or
> > can I somehow use the VRT to get my calculated data out?
> > I've seen that I can use a debug output in custom modules, but how can I
> > access these from somewhere else ?
> >

> I can think of two ways to help you here:
>
> 1) I'm not sure about the nature of your data, but perhaps passing it
> through UHD's streaming stuff isnt applicable for you. You can configure
> the device to stream to a custom location, like a different udp socket
> app running on your PC:
>

> http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp2.html#alternative-stream-destination
>
> 2) The vita standard is just an array int32s. You can register a
> converter for the host/cpu type "s32" type. Your converter will get
> called if you make a stream with the host/cpu type set to "sc32". You
> can choose to do something with the buffer presented or memcpy and or
> byteswap it into the output buffer presented:
>

> http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/doxygen/html/namespaceuhd_1_1convert.html#a2dea5dbc00d117dfda73a726a8453f72
>
> -josh

Hi Josh,
thanks for your quick answer, but I thinks that's not the solution for what
I'm trying to do.
I'm calculating the absolute value of the complex value stored in
"ddc_out_sample" signal. The result is a 16bit value. I want to use this
value in another module I'm also implementing in VHDL. It will be a
submodule of u2_core.v. So I have to connect these two modules somehow. My
question is how to connect these modules.
In the custom_dsp_rx.v(hd) module i have 6 outputs. One of them, the debug
output, is optional. I think I need a 7th output in that module and that's
the problem. It seems like I have to edit the whole ddc-chain to pass my
value through or I use the debug signal. Everything has to be implemented
in hardware using VHDL.

Greetings
Tim