[USRP-users] user defined outputs in custom modules

Josh Blum josh at ettus.com
Mon Sep 24 09:35:28 EDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 08:47 AM, Tim Schuschies wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm actually trying to implement a custom dsp rx module for USRP2 FPGA. I
> am using the template from Ettus and it looks like it works, but now I need
> to send data out of the module besides the already defined signals. Is
> there a possibility to define an other output to such a custom module or
> can I somehow use the VRT to get my calculated data out?
> I've seen that I can use a debug output in custom modules, but how can I
> access these from somewhere else ?

I can think of two ways to help you here:

1) I'm not sure about the nature of your data, but perhaps passing it
through UHD's streaming stuff isnt applicable for you. You can configure
the device to stream to a custom location, like a different udp socket
app running on your PC:

http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp2.html#alternative-stream-destination

2) The vita standard is just an array int32s. You can register a
converter for the host/cpu type "s32" type. Your converter will get
called if you make a stream with the host/cpu type set to "sc32". You
can choose to do something with the buffer presented or memcpy and or
byteswap it into the output buffer presented:

http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/doxygen/html/namespaceuhd_1_1convert.html#a2dea5dbc00d117dfda73a726a8453f72

-josh