[USRP-users] Using two USRP N200 for capturing uplink and downlink signals

Birhane Alemayoh birhanea at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 01:56:57 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,
I am planning to capture and analyze GSM signals  using two USRP N200
devices; one for downlink and one for uplink.
USRP N200 can't run with external clock like 52 MHz which is suitable
for GSM systems. However, these devices have the option for external
10MHz reference clock.
I have three  questions:
1)
Can I achieve  my objective of capturing GSM uplink and dwonlink
signals by connecting the two USRP N200s using MIMO cable and by using
the 10MHz reference clock for one USRP N200?
Can the ClockTamer  be used an external clock reference to generate 10MHz?
2)
What is the main function of this reference clock? I mean can this
clock help for synchronizing the two USRP N200s in my application?
3)
GSM standards put the following requirement "The BTS shall use a
single frequency source of absolute accuracy better than 0.05 ppm for
both RF frequency generation and clocking the timebase."
How can this be achieved while using USRP N200?
Thank you in advance!!