[USRP-users] N210 USRP FPGA Programming

Ian Buckley ianb at ionconcepts.com
Wed Jun 13 20:47:54 EDT 2012

Sam,
You are probably in luck on this one, it sounds like you just need to bit-bang those pins with firmware for your application, and all the H/W hooks exist to do this already.
The relevant firmware calls are (should be) hal_gpio_* and you can find them in firmware/zpu/lib/hal* though I don't see the definitions in my tree...nor any references to the registers in memory_map.h...perhaps Josh/John/etc can comment on that.

In H/W there are 5 registers that control these pins on the daughter board RX and TX connectors, the verilog is in gpio_atr.v.
Very briefly it works as follows: One 32bit register controls the direction of each of the 32 signals, 1 control bit per signal. The other 4 32bit registers establish the values of every signal set to an output (inputs would just be "don't care") for 4 different H/W states,
IDLE, TX, RX and FULL DUPLEX. This means that the daughter board antenna switches are controlled by hardware state changes, rather than "real time" firmware. Thus if you want to drive values to the GPIO, independent of these H/W states, read-modify-write the same bits in all 4 registers.

I'll assume you can work out the rest from here out by looking at the code. You may have to write your own HAL support, but it shouldn't be hard. One note of caution: On some daughter boards possibly writing the wrong values to these registers might cause the TX to drive the RX in the radio at damaging power level's..look at the schematics and your code carefully!

-Ian