[USRP-users] Windows 7 64 bit build issues

Simon HB9DRV simon at hb9drv.ch
Mon Jun 11 08:12:50 EDT 2012

Hi,

Will do. BTW - two weeks included work on my own software. For a Windows
purist the UHD.dll architecture is 'unusual', the steps needed to use it in
a major project just aren't documented. In my case I have many DLLs (one per
manufacturer/radio model) with a common set of exported functions, these
DLLs are loaded dynamically. This caused some nice problems to be overcome.

What I'll do is update a blog on my dit-dit-dit.com website, but it's clear
that Windows support s weak when compared to the many other interface
libraries I use (CodeJock, Intel IPP, .). Ideally Ettus would provide
interface documentation so that a lean, clean and well-written interface can
be created. (If you browse the source you will find some unpleasant
eye-openers. As a developer of 30+ years I would reject the source.)

But - now that I have been through the hoops I'm prepared to release my code
for in-house testing, but am still unhappy with UHD.dll and the lack of
low-level documentation. Ettus does describe the hardware as test equipment,
with better documentation it could be used well in the real world.

I'll update now, will report back.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV
 <http://dit-dit-dit.com/> http://dit-dit-dit.com

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around
you is a forest.

A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully. The sunspot count
is 285.

From: Stan Gamla [mailto:cystrin at hotmail.com]

Building under Windows 7 is quite an effort but to do so with full 64-bit
support is an outstanding achievement (at least in my humble opinion and
based on my own failures). As it took you two weeks to "bring it all
together", could you please share any tricks and tips that you might have
discovered or developed along the way (and that perhaps are not documented
elsewhere). For example, which dependencies were needed and which in turn
were built from source (and with with special options).