[USRP-users] Replacing DSP in N2x0

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Wed Feb 15 15:02:17 EST 2012

On 02/15/2012 02:54 PM, Wilson, Jeffery (DS-1) wrote:

> Designation: Non-SSA/Finmeccanica
>
> Ian,
>
> Thank you for all the info. I'm not a DSP guy myself, so I don't fully
> understand the issues, in fact it may be elsewhere in the DSP module
> than the CORDIC. We certainly need to do more testing before we start
> changing things, and simulations as you suggest may be the way to go.
>
> -- Jeff

I'd really like to understand what the problem is.  The CORDIC itself is
a very high-quality implementation.  The USRP2/N2XX series use
   a 20-stage CORDIC approach, which produces very high resolution.  The
output register width is such that it produces an SFDR of
   96dB, which is *very* decent for a DDS/NCO of any kind.

The only issue I can think of is phase noise, which will be entirely
dependant on the phase-noise of the clock system--either internal, or
   the external reference.  The on-board clock is a low-phase-noise
design, and using an external reference, you can get the phase noise
   lower by a significant amount, depending on the quality of the
external reference.  The on-board clock is good to about 5PPM or so,
   as I recall, and an external reference can usually get to you 500PPB
fairly easily--that's not directly related to phase noise, but the
   higher accuracy clocks generally also have much better phase noise.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator