[USRP-users] performance issues

Juha Vierinen jvierine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 15:39:07 EST 2010

Hi,

I recently upgraded to the newest protocol 7 of uhd. I noticed that I
am having trouble getting all the packets in.

When I run benchmark_rx_rate, I notice that even with 4 MHz, the
process is taking over 50% of the CPU time, and at 25 MHz it is taking
150 % (it is threaded I guess). Why is this? The usrp1 only takes
about 15 % of the CPU time when running at 5 MHz, even when writing
everything to a file.  I rember the gnuradio driver used much less CPU
resources. What is going on?

Is there e.g., any way to increase the packet size? I have a hunch
that this might help.

I have a fairly recent intel core 2 quad processor.

Here is some info about my ethernet interface:

[26210.243999] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
Control: RX/TX

j at usrp:/usr/local/share/uhd/examples$ sudo ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1