[USRP-users] UHD Announcement - November 23rd 2010

Josh Blum josh at ettus.com
Tue Nov 23 22:24:28 EST 2010

Hello list,

Much code has been pushed and new images uploaded.
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

-- Support for new devices
Host code, firmware, and FPGA code for the new hardware has been pushed.
This includes:

USRP-N210
USRP-E100
DBSRX2

-- Flow control work
Work on host based flow control for the USRP2 has been merged into the
mainline. New FPGA and fimware images must be written to the SD card to
work with the latest host code. Host-based flow control removed the need
for ethernet pause frames, allowing USRP2s to work with devices like
switches and to perform better on TX overall.

The docs have changed to reflect this:
http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp_nxxx.html#setup-networking

Images packages here: http://www.ettus.com/downloads/uhd_images/

-- API changes
The deprecated simple and mimo blocks have been removed from UHD and
gr-uhd. The deprecated blocks spit out a profuse amount of warnings.
Everyone should be switched over to the single and multi USRP interfaces
by now.

I mentioned this last week (after an accidental push). The API for gain
and frequency ranges has changed slightly. The gain range object no
longer has members min, max, and step. These have been replaced with
methods start(), stop(), and step(). In addition, a range can contain
sub-ranges that can be iterated through, where each sub-range has a
start(), stop(), and step(). Motivating example: the XCVR2450 has a
high-band and low-band frequency range.

-- UHD versioning
Its been tough keeping gr-uhd and UHD in sync with each other. I have
introduced a compatibility number into the UHD version string. Whenever
API changes cause breaking changes to gr-uhd, the number will be
incremented in UHD and in the gr-uhd package config checks.

-- Bug fixes
There was an issue in the FPGA code when transmitting simultaneous timed
packets on USRP2. This has been resolved in the new FPGA image.

-- Name your USRP
You may assign a canonical name to your USRP device to more easily
identify it on a host machine. The one on my desk is named Bobert:

http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/identification.html#naming-a-usrp