[USRP-users] USRP1 and UHD rx_samples_to_file

Jason Abele jason at ettus.com
Mon Nov 15 17:11:22 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 04:53:25PM -0500, Steven Clark wrote:

> > Steven,
> >
> > The UHD and libusrp1 drivers from GNUradio have different default gain
> > settings.  UHD defaults to 0dB and libusrp1 defaults to mid-gain, which
> > I think will be around 25dB.  These give very different Noise Figures
> > for WBX.  Try the rx_ascii_art_dft with --gain=25
> >
> > Jason
> >

> I was explicitly commanding gain=0 in both cases. Besides, I'm putting in CW
> in range ~-20dBm, which should be plenty visible regardless of gain setting.
> Right now it just looks like 2-3 ADC bits worth of noise with the UHD
> driver.
>
> Grr, this is frustrating. I want to start developing with UHD + USRP1, but
> this is a showstopper atm :(

Hmm, it is strange that the UHD WBX is not working for you.

Did you reclock your USRP1 to something other than 64MHz?

Do you have BasicRX or any other daughterboard, does it work with UHD?

Could you try setting wbx_debug to true on line 88 of:
    <UHD_SRC>/host/lib/usrp/dboard/db_wbx.cpp

and then rebuild and install UHD.

This should give copious output, even just runing uhd_usrp_probe.  Paste
the output of uhd_usrp_probe into an email to me

Sorry to hear this is still giving you trouble, but I am happy to help
you get it up and working.

Thanks for your patience.

Jason